Tax Checklist


Please bring the following:

  • Original Social Security cards for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents
  • Obamacare Form 1095 a; 1095 b or c
  • Health Ins Card(s)
  • Voided check or other note with the financial account and routing numbers, if you want to use direct debit or deposit for tax payment or refund 
  • W-2s for wages, 1099s for interest, dividends, retirement distributions,unemployment, state income tax refunds, etc.
  • Tip income records
  • Records of gambling profits and losses
  • Cash income received record, such as from odd jobs and tips
  • Alimony received
  • Capital gains and losses records, such as brokerage account annual statements
  • Form K-1s from any estates, partnerships or S-corporations. These usually are not sent out until March.
  • Amount of IRA contributions
  • Amounts paid for child care and to whom (name, address, SSN or EIN)
  • Tuition and other education expenses paid for yourself, spouse, and/or dependents
  • Student loan interest paid
  • Record of any estimated taxes paid to IRS or a state
  • Property tax receipts
  • Form 1098 (or other) reporting home mortgage interest
  • Receipts or record of medical, drug, and dental unreimbursed expenses, including medical insurance or long term care insurance premiums
  • Itemized record of charitable gifts. Any over $250 must include a signed receipt from the charity.
  • Any records related to starting or operating your own business, including rental property

Are you Self Employed?


If you are self employed you're record keeping requires a bit more finesse. You need proof of every deduction you claim. NO RECEIPT = NO DEDUCTION. I always advise my clients to total up all of their receipts for business into separate categories such as supplies, advertising, repairs, etc. Then bring in the totals. This saves a ton of time for everyone and I guarantee will make your preparer very happy. 

Email for a complete list and with examples of a company profit and loss should look like.